This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018
and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined
in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Faculty of Education
NOTE: This specialisation will not be available in 2018.
This specialisation will prepare you to teach infants and children from birth to five years of age in childcare, kindergartens and preschools. The curriculum spans birth to eight years of age and you will learn how to engage young children in meaningful learning through innovative pedagogical practice and how to effectively support children's transition to school. You will also learn how to help young children develop their creative, physical, personal, intellectual and social capabilities.
Credit for prior studies
Students are awarded one full year (48 credit points) of credit towards the first year of the Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Years Education on the successful completion of the Diploma of Children's Services or equivalent as determined by the faculty. Where the faculty has an articulation agreement with an institution, credit for prior studies as outlined in the agreement will be honoured.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Education studies (84 points)
- EDF1033 Education for environment and sustainability
- EDF1039 Inclusivity and partnerships in early childhood education
- EDF1303 Understanding learning and learners
- EDF1304 Understanding teaching for learning
- EDF2030 Contemporary child development theories and practices
- EDF2031 Indigenous perspectives on teaching and learning
- EDF2033 Learning with children, their families and communities
- EDF2039 Children and childhood across time: Policies and practices
- EDF3029 Play in lifelong learning
- EDF3030 Diversity in child development
- EDF3031 Local and global perspectives in education policy
- EDF3033 Change and transition in children's education
- EDF4028 Understanding place, space and education
- EDF4031 Sociology of early childhood
Parts B. and C. Integrated curriculum and discipline studies (78 points)
- EDF1030 English and literacy learning
- EDF1031 Creative learning in childhood through music and the arts
- EDF1032 Thinking mathematically from an early age
- EDF2032 Learning through play pedagogies
- EDF2034 Learning about patterns, shapes and numbers through play
- EDF2035 Health and physical wellbeing in the young child
- EDF3032 Children's literature, storytelling and the arts
- EDF3034 Children's literacy development
- EDF3035 Investigating our world: Science, technology and the environment
- EDF3181 Art, environment and community
- EDF4033Not offered in 2018 Innovation in curriculum and pedagogy in schools
- EDF4034 Educating the young mathematician
- EDF4035 Early childhood learning though new media and technologies
Part D. Professional studies (42 points)
Students complete 80 days of supervised professional experience in early childhood settings.
- EDF1038 Introduction to the early childhood education field
- EDF1051 Early years professional experience 1A (0 points)
- EDF1052 Early years professional experience 1B (0 points)
- EDF2038 Curriculum, assessment and documentation in education
- EDF2052Not offered in 2018 Early years professional experience 2B (0 points)
- EDF2053 Primary professional experience 2A (0 points)
- EDF3038 Professionalism, ethics and interdisciplinary work in education
- EDF3039 Leadership and management in education contexts
- EDF3050 Early years professional experience 3A (0 points)
- EDF3054 Primary professional experience 3B (0 points)
- EDF4006 Transition and professional engagement
- EDF4051 Early years professional experience 4A (0 points)
- EDF4052 Early years professional experience 4B (0 points)
- EDF4100 Researching teaching and learning
- EDF4101 Research project in education
80 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) completed in early childhood settings.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/edu-04.html) for information.
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- D3001 Bachelor of Education (Honours)
Students in other single bachelor's degrees or Bachelor or Education (Honours) double degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.