6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Sarika Kewalramani (Peninsula)
This unit prepares students for their transition into professional practice as teachers. Drawing on a range of research literature and the knowledge, skills and professional experiences developed during their course, students identify an employability plan to support their engagement in the teaching profession. They address the ethical, professional, industrial, legal and practice dimensions of the work of teachers and educational leaders. Students complete a Teaching Performance Assessment in which they plan, teach, assess and reflect, and develop a teaching portfolio which represents this work. They analyse a range of evidence and critically reflect on its significance. They evaluate their progress against Graduate Teaching Standards and Monash graduate attributes that enable them to be skilled teachers and potential education leaders.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand the range and depth of teachers' work (the ethical, professional, industrial, legal and wellbeing aspects)
- develop and document evidence of the impact of their teaching practice on the learning outcomes of the students they teach
- document and articulate evidence of their professional identities and achievement of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the Graduate level
- evaluate their knowledge and skills as professionals and identify areas for future professional learning
- explore their transition into the profession and demonstrate their attributes as employable graduates and professionals.
Employability plan (1600 words or equivalent, 40%)
Teaching portfolio (2400 words or equivalent, 60%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 24 contact hours over the semester
- Additional requirements
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours over the semester
See also Unit timetable information