6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Melissa Barnes (Peninsula)
Enrolment in a Faculty of Education course
This unit introduces contemporary learning theories that enable students to reflect on their own learning experiences in order to understand how others learn. From the perspective of broader educational settings (school, community, early childhood settings, home), the important questions of what learning is, how and why learning occurs, what quality learning might be and what influences learning, are discussed and reflected upon. Through examination of different theoretical perspectives and contexts, this unit focuses on building an understanding of what can influence learning and offers skill building in academic learning. Ideas closely associated with learning, including motivation, engagement and ability are also considered. The unit encourages students to begin constructing deep knowledge about the relationship between learning and educational inquiry.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand a range of theories of learning, ability and engagement, and their continuing impacts on education
- reflect on themselves as learners and their own diverse experiences of learning and apply this understanding to other contexts
- develop an awareness of the impact that diverse individual, social and cultural contextual factors have on learning experiences
- begin to understand the role of educational inquiry in exploring aspects of learning in a range of settings including in an academic setting.
Tutorial-based tasks (1600 words or equivalent, 40%)
Essay on learning (2400 words or equivalent, 60%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 1-hour lecture per week
- 2-hour tutorial per week
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information