Statement of purpose
This is the official site of the Monash University Handbook for authoritative course and unit information, including unit guides.
The Handbook is the official statement of courses and units available for study at Monash University, published each academic year. Changes made after publication which might affect student enrolment or progression are recorded in the official change register. The Handbook sets out the requirements that must be satisfied for a student to be eligible for course completion and graduation (refer also to How to use the Handbook).
The course and unit details provided in this edition of the Handbook are for those students who commence their studies in 2018 - students who began their studies prior to this should refer to the archived Handbook edition for the year in which they started their course. Archived Handbooks are available online for 1995 to current. Handbooks prior to 1995 are available in hard copy from the University Library.
All students must:
- read the Handbook in conjunction with any changes published in the change register
- read official University correspondence for advice on changes
- not rely on information published elsewhere as it may not be accurate
- check with their faculty for advice when planning their enrolment
- ensure that they enrol in units to meet the course requirements in order to complete the course and graduate.
Students studying on an Australian international student visa and enrolling in a CRICOS-registered course* cannot:
- study more than one third of their course by distance and/or online learning
- enrol exclusively in distance and/or online learning study in any compulsory study period
unless the student is completing the last unit of their course.
* For more information refer to Part B Standard 8 of the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018
The University may:
- not teach a course/unit in any given year
- teach a course/unit in a different manner to that set out in the Handbook
- discontinue or vary a course/unit at any time.
NOTE: For students commencing their studies prior to 28 May 2014, the course details set out in the relevant Handbook edition are supplemented by the provisions of any applicable course regulations. Any reference in the course regulations to a faculty board is to be read as a reference to the faculty dean.
Students who began their studies prior to 2014 should consult the archived Handbook edition for the year in which they started their course.