6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit further develops students' ability to teach diverse learners mathematics content, skills and thinking from an early age in effective and creative ways. Developing pedagogical content knowledge for the emerging professional is interwoven with the development of theoretical and research perspectives and approaches that assist in the understanding of diverse learners and how their learning can be maximised.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- demonstrate an in-depth understanding of key curriculum, teaching and learning principles and practice relating to mathematics in the early years
- research, analyse and understand how to develop children's learning of different aspects of mathematics
- demonstrate an awareness of effective research methods and pedagogical approaches that focus on the teaching and learning of mathematics in the early years, particularly investigations and problem solving
- critically reflect on their personal professional learning in mathematics education
- research, analyse and implement classroom strategies that link mathematics to practical applications across the curriculum
- understand the importance of and develop techniques for adopting inclusive practices in relation to the teaching and learning of mathematics in diverse contexts.
Research report on the design, trialling and evaluation of problem-based mathematics lessons (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Case study of the mathematical reasoning of primary students (2000 words equivalent, 50%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 2 contact hours per week
- Requirements for on-campus block City-based students:
- one intensive weekend block
- at least 4 hours of active online engagement in Moodle activities per term
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per week
See also Unit timetable information