This specialisation will prepare you to teach infants and children from birth to 12 years of age in childcare, kindergartens, preschools and primary schools. You will learn how to engage young children in meaningful learning through innovative pedagogical practice and you will learn how to help them develop their creative, physical, personal, intellectual and social capabilities. You will learn how to support children's transition to school and their progress through the primary years. You will actively engage with contemporary theories, concepts and practices of early years and primary education, developing inclusive practices to meet a diversity of children's needs and building a repertoire of strategies to manage children's learning in classroom settings. You will also develop an understanding of how primary school aged children learn and how they can be effectively and creatively taught across all primary curriculum areas such as: English and literacies, mathematics, arts education, humanities and social education, science, health and physical education, and studies of the environment and sustainability. You will develop a deep understanding of the social and cultural contexts of early years provision for children, develop skills to work with families and communities and learn to identify the range of local and international early years services available to practitioners.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2018 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Credit for prior studies
Students are awarded one full year (48 credit points) of credit towards the first year of the Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Years and Primary Education on the successful completion of the Diploma of Children's Services or equivalent as determined by the faculty. Where the faculty has an articulation agreement with an institution, credit for prior studies as outlined in the agreement will be honoured.
Units are 6 credit points unless otherwise stated.
Part A. Education studies (72 points)
- Education for environment and sustainability
- Inclusivity and partnerships in early childhood education
- Understanding learning and learners
- Understanding teaching for learning
- Contemporary child development theories and practices
- Indigenous perspectives on teaching and learning
- Learning with children, their families and communities
- Children and childhood across time: Policies and practices
- Diversity in child development
- Local and global perspectives in education policy
- Change and transition in children's education
- Contemporary theories of learning development
Parts B. and C. Integrated curriculum and discipline studies (90 points)
- English and literacy learning
- Creative learning in childhood through music and the arts
- Thinking mathematically from an early age
- Learning through play pedagogies
- Learning about patterns, shapes and numbers through play
- Health and physical wellbeing in the young child
- Children's literature, storytelling and the arts
- Children's literacy development
- Investigating our world: Science, technology and the environment
- Art, environment and community
- Humanities and social education in the primary years
- Science and technology education in the primary years
- Health and physical education for wellbeing in the primary curriculum
- Innovation in curriculum and pedagogy in schools
- Thinking mathematically in primary education
Part D. Professional studies (42 points)
Students complete 95 days of supervised professional experience in early childhood settings and primary schools.
- Introduction to the early childhood education field
- Early years professional experience 1A (0 points)
- Early years professional experience 1B (0 points)
- Curriculum, assessment and documentation in education
- Early years professional experience 2C (0 points)
- Early years professional experience 2A (0 points)
- Professionalism, ethics and interdisciplinary work in education
- Leadership and management in education contexts
- Primary professional experience 3B (0 points)
- Early years professional experience 3C (0 points)
- Transition and professional engagement
- Primary professional experience 4C (0 points)
- Primary professional experience 4D (0 points)
- Researching teaching and learning
- Research project in education
95 days of professional experienceprofessional experience (http://monash.edu/education/current-students/professional-experience/placements/) in early childhood settings and primary schools.
This specialisation is accredited by professional bodies. Refer to Professional recognitionProfessional recognition (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2017handbooks/undergrad/edu-04.html) for information.
Related areas of study
Successful completion of this undergraduate specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- D3001 Bachelor of Education (Honours)
Students in other single bachelor's degrees or Bachelor or Education (Honours) double degrees are not eligible to complete this specialisation.