6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
, MKB2521, , , , MKG3444, , ,
Strategic retail marketing is critical to maintain a company's competitive advantage and to manage retail operations effectively and efficiently. This unit aims to assist students to acquire a deeper understanding of the current retail environment in Australia and overseas. Students will study the global forces and local marketing trends that affect retailing strategies in both domestic and international markets. The issues to be considered when exporting or importing both product and retail brands will be studied. In addition to acknowledging the importance of brands in retail, this unit highlights various functions of brand management for developing successful retail strategies in the rapidly changing retail market.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- develop an understanding of the operations, strategies, and performance of leading local and global retailers
- examine the key issues and challenges driving the nature and direction of change in the local and global retail markets
- distinguish various functions of brand management strategies and apply them to both the Australian and international retailing context
- integrate retail marketing and brand management strategies to maximise the effectiveness of retailing practice
Within semester assessment: 50% + Examination: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information