6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester B 2018 (On-campus)
, , , .
Must be enrolled in course 3868, 3891, M3002, M3003.
Students must submit valid preclinical documentation, as listed in the course handbook, to Administration staff by the deadline specified and communicated to students. Failure to submit these mandatory documents may result in students being unable to complete the course.
During this unit, students undertake a clinical attachment of 2 weeks duration in the area of 'Lifespan / Community'.
This provides the opportunity to apply and expand integrated knowledge and skills from previous learning in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy to patient care across the Lifespan / Community in a diverse range of health care related settings.
Students are expected to spend 32 hours per week during clinical education in health service or placement facilities with additional self-directed study hours.
Additional off-campus study time is allocated for completion of assignments and self-directed education tasks.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Engage in critically reflective practice of learning needs, clinical performance, and patient care;
- Demonstrate professional behaviour in patient care and rights that is culturally sensitive and in accordance with legal requirements;
- Demonstrate appropriate and effective communication across written and verbal mediums, with clients, staff, and other health care stakeholders;
- Integrate knowledge and skills to effectively plan appropriate patient interactions, including patient-centred goal development, and the selection of appropriate interventions;
- Apply an evidence-based practice approach to patient care;
- Critically analyse risks and adverse events associated with client assessments and interventions;
Clinical placement: 32 hours per week x 2 weeks.
- Workplace behaviour (40%)
- Client assessment and management (40%)
- Online paediatric iSAP task (20%)
- Professional conduct - Students are required to demonstrate professional behaviour in communication (written or verbal) with department staff and clinical educators in order to pass the unit.
- Achieve a pass grade in all summative tasks, participation in clinical placement, and written assignments.
- Paediatric preclinical online tutorial task.
- To reflect everyday workplace practices, and in recognition of the importance of optimizing education in limited clinical placement hours, students are required to achieve 100% clinical attendance. Exceptions will be considered in cases of explained absence through illness, compassionate leave or a pre-arranged agreement with the University and health service facility.
PTY4282 comprises six off-campus weeks in clinical placement facilities for education and self directed study tasks. Students are expected to spend 32 hours per week during the two weeks of 'Lifespan / Community' clinical education with additional self-directed study to complete learning and reflection related to their experiences in delivery of physiotherapy services. An additional four weeks off-campus study is allocated in this unit for completion of additional self-directed summative tasks.
See also Unit timetable information