6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester B 2018 (On-campus)
, , , , .
Must be enrolled in course 3868, 3891, M3002, M3003.
Students must submit valid preclinical documentation, as listed in the course handbook, to Administration staff by the deadline specified and communicated to students. Failure to submit these mandatory documents may result in students being unable to complete the course.
PTY3462 continues to develop the five themes upon which the four year curriculum is based. These are Theme 1 Personal and Professional Development; Theme 2 Population, Society and Health; Theme 3 Fundamental Knowledge of Health Science; Theme 4 Applied Practice; and Theme 5 Research. Problem based learning (PBL) and written activities provide the opportunities for integration of the different themes within the course. Students undertake a range of written assessment tasks during this unit as well as attending one post clinical campus-based week, providing them the opportunity to apply integrated knowledge and skills from previous learning in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy to patient care issues in a range of settings.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Develop and practice skills of critical reflection on learning needs, clinical performance and patient care;
- Communicate appropriately and effectively across written, verbal and electronic communication mediums;
- Demonstrate professional behaviour in patient care and rights that is culturally sensitive and in accordance with legal requirements;
- Analyse and evaluate a clinical practice guideline using the AGREE II.
Formative and hurdle assessments:
Professional conduct: Students are required to demonstrate professional behaviour in communication (written or verbal) with department staff in order to pass the unit, and attend the clinical-debriefing session post-clinical placements.
- Minimum attendance requirement
- Clinical Practice Guideline Portfolio (60%)
- Professional Practice Plan (40%)
The campus based learning week will consist of approximately 5-8 hours of lectures; 4 hours of CBL or other tutorials; and 4-6 hours of physiotherapy practical sessions, master classes and tutorials. For every formal teaching contact hour, students are expected to complete a minimum 2.5 additional hours self directed learning related to content, tasks and further reading as described in the PTY3462 Unit Guide. The remainder of the unit content (written assessment tasks) will be completed in self directed learning time concurrent with clinical placements occurring in year 3.
See also Unit timetable information