6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
or or or or or or or equivalent
Through the study of graded Chinese news articles and audio-visual broadcasts, this unit will introduce students to the language and issues of Chinese and international current affairs from a Chinese perspective. Topics covered include society, culture, politics, economics, the environment, international relations, current international events and current social issues. Students will also develop research and language skills tailored to the Chinese language Internet.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will:
- develop an understanding of the structures of the Chinese media (written and spoken);
- be able to read and translate or interpret a range of Chinese news articles;
- develop listening skills appropriate to understanding Chinese audio-visual news broadcasts;
- develop an understanding of the political, economic, and social background to major issues that are of intimate concern to ordinary people in China and other Chinese speaking communities;
- and be able to access, search, read and watch Chinese text-based and audio-visual resources on the Internet with a high degree of independence.
Within semester assessment: 55% + Exam: 45%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information