6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
, ATS2026, , ATS3026 or equivalent or permission
ATS3027 , ATS4027, APG5027
This unit will introduce students to a range of texts of different genres in contemporary Chinese. Students' ability to understand contemporary China and their skills of speaking, listening and writing will be further developed through reading, translation practice, essay-writing and other activities.
The subject aims to provide students with:
- General knowledge that will enhance their understanding of contemporary Chinese culture and society.
- The ability to comprehend and express complex ideas in both spoken and written forms, consolidating skills already acquired in Chinese proficient.
- Strategies of cross-cultural conceptualisation, incorporating translation skills, crucial to critical thinking on a range of cultural and social topics concerning contemporary China.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information