6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Professional Studies 2 exposes students to the complex and evolving contexts of local and global architectural practice. The unit introduces salient issues of financial dynamics, business management and ethical practices in relation to architecture. Project-based exercises enable students to strategically position themselves within contemporary practice. The unit fosters critical engagements with and entrepreneurial approaches to architectural practice.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Gain an understanding of the financial, business and ethical contexts shaping local and global architectural practice.
- Gain familiarity with management practices and their application to the development of the built environment.
- Have developed awareness of the building industry and alternative methods for procurement.
- Have an understanding of professional ethics in relation to architectural practice.
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% mixed mode
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours and 9 hours of independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information