6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Enrolment in the Master of Urban Planning and Design.
This unit exposes students to issues around planners' professional abilities, conduct and values, and develops the capabilities to perform ethically and efficiently in addressing complex urban situations. Students will develop communication and collaborative skills necessary to help shape inclusive built environments.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Understand the professional roles and responsibilities of the planner in shaping the built environment;
- Gain the listening, synthesising, graphic, written and verbal communication skills that contribute to the practice of the urban planning professional;
- Develop the ability to participate in collaborative processes such as mediation, negotiation and engagement, required for effective planning processes;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the professional ethics required of planners;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
Weekly assignments (40%)
Engagement project (40%)
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours per week and 9 hours of independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information