12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Enrolment in the Master of Urban Planning and Design.
Project 1 explores the implications of intensification for the creation of compact cities. Through projects that engage real spatial settings and the complexities of contemporary environments, the unit helps students develop research foundations, conceptual thinking, analytical approaches and communication skills through planning mechanisms.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Demonstrate capabilities and competencies in ethical approaches to contemporary urban planning;
- Have the ability to strategically respond to complex problems and develop appropriate planning responses, processes and outcomes;
- Have developed skills in research, applying creativity and critique to address planning issues;
- Have acquired a high level of competence in communication and presentation skills: written, verbal and graphic ones;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
Project context (20%)
Research project (40%)
Final presentation (40%)
24 hours per week including 6 contact hours per week and 18 hours of independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information