6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering
Assoc Professor Nemai Karmakar
This unit provides an introduction to aspects of management relevant to the needs of the professional mechatronics engineer. Students will be introduced to a range of topics including the role of a manager, organizations, financial management, marketing and planning, legal issues and professional ethics.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe the skills, roles, styles and techniques of an engineering manager in the context of an organisation.
- Assess different project management techniques.
- Apply accounting principles to analyse basic financial statements that enhance business decision making.
- Describe the basic marketing principles and techniques of strategic business planning.
- Analyse important legal aspects of contract, negligence, and intellectual property.
- Describe the elements of professional behaviour and the engineering code of ethics.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours week lectures and 2 hours week tutorials and 7 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information