6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
ECE4908, TEC3193 and
This unit will cover topics relevant to engineers working in a business environment, particularly in management, focusing on recent case studies. Areas covered include management of individuals, teams and organisations, management philosophy and practical techniques. Financial management will be discussed, including company objectives, accounting fundamentals, and financial planning and control. Marketing will follow, including business planning, quality and quality control. Relevant legal issues will be covered, including intellectual property, contract and negligence. This will be drawn together in discussing the role of the professional engineer, ethical behaviour and decision making.
- Acquire and comprehend the fundamental knowledge of the role of an engineer as a manager - skills, roles, styles, techniques, in the context of an organisation.
- Analyse and evaluate different project alternates by applying a range of techniques.
- Comprehend and apply accounting fundamentals, prepare and analyse basic financial statements to enhance business decision making.
- Comprehend and explain the basics of marketing principles and techniques of strategic business planning.
- Analyse and explain important legal aspects of contract, negligence, and intellectual property.
- Gain knowledge in the elements of professional behavior in particular the engineering code of ethics.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours laboratory and practice classes and 7 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information