6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit provides a practical context for natural resources engineering in the global environment. Natural resource engineers improve and maintain the sustainability of the earth's resources through efficient design and application of technology. This unit identifies the extent and capacity of engineers working in the resources and renewable energy industries. Key concepts associated with the natural resources and renewable energy industries are introduced and discussed.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Appreciate the global contribution of the natural resources sector to global economic and social development.
- Describe the current and future global energy supply and demand profile and the efficiency and sustainability of current energy sources.
- Identify and select clean and renewable alternatives for efficient and sustainable energy options.
- Describe the development and permitting requirements for a natural resources project.
Continuous assessment: 50%
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours of tutorial classes and 7 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information