6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit bridges the market research process and strategy development by introducing students to industry and competitor analysis, as well as trend and consumer insight techniques, through the synthesis of secondary data. Understanding these macro insights is a fundamental part of the marketing landscape. By forecasting trends, managers can better understand what drives and motivates consumers. The synthesis of such secondary data can greatly assist in the development of successful marketing strategies.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- demonstrate the skills required to conduct, analyse, and interpret secondary data
- track and analyse trends and use them to inform strategy
- use secondary research to draw strategic implications and form recommendations
- appraise the role and importance of trends analysis and consumer insight techniques within organisations.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information