18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Available to students in all undergraduate degrees of the Faculty of IT who have been accepted into the Industry Based Learning program with at least 72 credit points including 60 FIT or MAT credit points.
Prerequisite units: One of, , , or .
In addition prerequisite units for C2001 BCS and C2000 BInfoTech students:or equivalent
In addition for C2000 BInfoTech students completing the Business Information Systems major:
For students enrolled in courses:
3333 BBIS prerequisite units are: (or FIT1002) and and FIT2003.
2770 BSE, 2380 BCS and 3334 BITS prerequisite units are: (or FIT1002) and FIT2003.
Students on placement participate full time in a defined, graduate level role during a 22-week placement period at established partners of the Faculty of Information Technology industry based learning program including major global companies, leading Australian companies and worldwide consultancies. The students on placement apply the knowledge, skills and practices of professional attitudes and behaviour developed in their academic units. They develop communication, time management and customer service skills in business situations, experience and participate professionally in the corporate environment and obtain feedback from experienced supervisors on their performance.
At the completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- set achievable and measurable goals;
- develop and practice professional skills and attitudes including: initiative, communication, time-management and teamwork skills in a business environment;
- develop solutions to business problems using information technology and other techniques;
- prepare documentation and written reports of a professional standard;
- address performance improvement opportunities identified by industry supervisors;
- develop information technology skills (such as business process modelling, performance enhancement of installed software, updating current software and developing new software) in a complex, corporate business environment.
In-semester assessment: 100%
Students are on placement full-time for 22 weeks with the partners of the industry based learning program in a graduate level role within the company.
See also Unit timetable information