6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Michael Wybrow
Mr Teo Bee Guan (Malaysia)
This unit introduces students to the use of Information Technology (IT) in modern engineering practice. Students will learn an object-oriented approach to both computer systems and software engineering for solving engineering problems.
Students will work in small teams to develop a mobile application that meets a contemporary need in engineering. The fundamental stages in the software development lifecycle will be introduced, including requirements analysis, design, implementation and verification. Students will use IT tools to support the engineering process.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe the capabilities and limitations of mobile computing devices, as well as the interaction between developments in IT and their use in modern Engineering practice.
- Construct mobile applications that utilise device capabilities to solve engineering problems using a simple object-oriented software approach.
- Use IT tools for aspects of the software engineering process, including a code editor, debugger, shared code repository and version control system, task-tracking and team communication tools.
- Generate written technical documentation in a standard design format from a template.
- Execute tasks as part of a team, and communicate effectively with team members.
- Compile and deliver oral presentations in a professional engineering format.
Continuous assessment: 60%
Examination (2 hours): 40%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours lectures, 3 hours of laboratory/workshop activities and 7 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information