6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
3445, M20021, 3892
This unit continues to develop the role of the paramedic as a clinician.
It will build on a model of paramedic clinical competence developed in prerequisite units and will provide the context to support the implementation of knowledge and skills necessary for effective patient care.
Students will have the opportunity to practice and develop their clinical skills in the management of patients with acute health conditions through clinical placements with ambulance service providers and other health agencies.
The unit will also place an emphasis on the insightfulness that is required to deliver quality patient care through a range of reflective tasks that challenge the student to consider their practice from a variety of alternative perspectives.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Evaluate their clinical knowledge, and identify clinical learning opportunities that may improve their ability to communicate with and care for patients;
- Recognise their role in the community emergency health setting, and display appropriate professional and teamwork behaviours;
- Perform appropriate paramedic clinical tasks under supervision in the community emergency health setting;
- Apply relevant theoretical knowledge and clinical skills to the care of patients within the community emergency health setting;
- Work as an effective team member with paramedics and health care professionals to provide appropriate patient care.
- Reflect on their performance in the clinical setting to identify the adequacy of their judgements and the factors influencing clinical decision making.
Paramedic clinical placements (7 shifts; 70 hours)
- Reflective case reports (2 x 1000 words each)(Pass/Fail)
- Clinical debrief sessions (Pass/Fail)
- Clinical logbook (Pass/Fail)
- Clinical paramedic placements x 16 (Pass/Fail)
Hurdle: A pass grade must be achieved on all assessment tasks.