0 points, SCA Band 2, 0.000 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
Prof. Ranjith Pathegama Gamage
In this unit the learner will gain skills and knowledge on the interaction between the geomaterials and structural components that make up most infrastructure systems. From buildings and bridges, to tunnels, roads/railroads, dams, and embankments, the learner will determine the interaction among various elements, and design appropriate solutions accordingly.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Determine the properties of geomaterials and structural components relevant for the assessment of interaction.
- Assess the structural and geomechanical components available to address the expected interaction.
- Determine the interaction between structural and geomaterials using computational and analytical methods.
- Design appropriate solutions for infrastructure systems by incorporating governing interactions.
- Describe the limitations of developed solutions and prepare a formal report.
Continuous assessment: 60%
Examination (2 hours): 40%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit.
3 hours lecture/practice and 9 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study