6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
The unit examines the general planning issues of integrated urban catchment management, followed by best management practices in stormwater management. Issues associated with the multiple objectives of urban stormwater management will be discussed in detail.
Students will gain appreciation of the management issues and technologies to formulate a stormwater management strategy for catchments with pre-specified environmental conditions and development characteristics.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- apply strategic planning principles for stormwater management.
- operate within existing legislation in the development of urban drainage designs.
- develop urban drainage designs, which employ best management practice principles in selection and operation of individual components.
- select and design treatment sequences that provide acceptable outflows to receiving water.
- work both independently and collaboratively on complex urban stormwater problems.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
On-campus - 4 hours lectures/practice and 8 hours of private study per week
Off-campus - 150 hours study
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study