6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
Dr Asadul Haque
Dr Rita Seethaler
- First semester 2018 (Off-campus)
This unit is an introduction to the principles and methods of triple-bottom-line evaluation of projects and policies in the area of civil engineering. As triple-bottom-line stands for economic, environmental and social requirements of sustainable development, this unit explicitly incorporates all three domains.
The objectives of the unit are to:
- Familiarise the students with the principles of sustainability.
- Give the students an opportunity to experience the application of an interdisciplinary approach, incorporating natural, social and engineering sciences.
- Give students an opportunity to learn about the theory and application of well approved 'classical' approaches that have to be adapted to new situations.
- Plan, undertake and report on infrastructure related research or investigation project at the level of an open enquiry within a mix of structured and self-determined guidelines.
Continuous assessment: 50%
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
150 hours study
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study