6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
Dr Ye Lu
Dr Daniel Kong (Malaysia)
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit introduces students to concrete technology, reinforced concrete and masonry design. Three major topics areas are basic concrete materials technology, reinforced concrete analysis and design, and masonry basics and design. The unit provides a balanced coverage of the practical construction aspects, analytical methods and design aspects.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Identify types of cements, aggregates, and admixtures in concrete.
- Describe the properties of fresh and hardened concrete.
- Describe and decide concrete specifications.
- Design concrete mix and assess concrete mix proportions for various applications.
- Analyse loads and their representation on structures.
- Design reinforced concrete and masonry structures using relevant Australian Standards.
Continuous assessment: 50%
Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a Pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours practice classes and 7 hours of private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information