6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
ENG1091 oror MTH1031 or
Systematic approaches to engineering data collection, analysis and interpretation. The Scope covers data description and presentation, randomness, discrete probability, continuous probability, conditional probability, Bayes' Theorem, normal distribution, sampling distributions, point estimation, interval estimation, hypothesis testing, linear regression.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Apply statistical theory to problems frequently encountered by civil engineers.
- Analyse and interpret large data sets and present the summary.
- Design and conduct experiments using statistical methods.
- Formulate hypotheses and test them to come to a conclusion.
- Predict random processes through time series analysis.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Examination: (2 hours) 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
2 hours lecture, 2 hours practical and 8 hours private study per week.
See also Unit timetable information