6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Civil Engineering
Introduction to the nature of civil engineering construction projects. Construction technology including equipment performance, construction techniques, prefabrication, concrete, steel, timber, foundations, buildings, roads, formwork etc. Relevant OHS and site environmental management issues and requirements. Industry experience gained by working with a construction company.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Evaluate OHS risks and apply relevant controls to particular project examples.
- Acquire knowledge of Quality Assurance and Systems and Prepare inspection and test plans.
- Evaluate environmental risks and apply relevant controls to a particular construction project.
- Breakdown the tasks involved with a construction project and prepare a schedule.
- Acquire knowledge of construction relationships and procurement type.
Individual assessments (8 topics): 20%
Major project assignment by project groups: 50%
Oral presentations of major project assignment by project groups: 30%
2 hours lecture, 2 hours practical class and 8 hours private study per week (including one single site visit during the semester).
See also Unit timetable information