6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit will explore heat integration, water integration and recycling of process streams to achieve improved resource efficiencies and waste reduction, the identification and minimisation of waste in reactors and separation processes, natural cycles, pollution mechanisms and effects, strategies for improved industrial ecology and the role of regulatory and economic drivers in cleaner production. These themes will be developed in lectures and be supported by student project work related to selected industrial processes.
- Understand and apply heat integration, water integration and process stream recycling in chemical engineering processes to achieve increased raw materials and energy efficiencies and waste reduction
- Understand the technologies for treatment and disposal of gaseous, liquid and solid wastes
- Understand the mechanisms and effects of natural cycles for water and carbon
- Understand the mechanisms and effects of various forms of pollution
- Explore the benefits of improved industrial ecology through integrated manufacture and improved industrial planning.
Assignments: 50% + Examination (2 hours): 50%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
Five hours of contact time per week including 3 hours of lectures and 2 hours of project work. 7 hours of private study devoted to preparation of assignments and independent study.
See also Unit timetable information