6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit will explore cleaner production and sustainability concepts, the principles of process design and development and associated flow sheets, systematic approaches to waste minimisation in process and utility systems, the methodology of life cycle assessment and application of life cycle assessment to processes and products. These themes will be developed in lectures and supported by student project work related to selected industrial processes.
At the end of this unit, students should be able to:
- Apply the principles of cleaner production and sustainability in the design and evaluation of processes and products
- Design and evaluate processes with emphasis on resource and energy efficiency and waste minimisation
- Develop and draw a detailed process flow sheet
- Produce the life cycle block diagram of a product and determine the main environmental impacts of the life cycle
- Analyse a process or product using life cycle assessment methodology
- Analyse the benefits and burdens of materials recycling
- Evaluate and apply the principles of greenhouse gas (GHG) measurement and reporting under national and international schemes
- Examine and evaluate sustainable energy options
Projects: 40% + Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 2 hours project work and 7 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information