12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit introduces communication design processes relative to the fundamental principles of typography, image, layout manipulation and time-based design. An understanding of how communication design enhances the human experience is initiated in this unit through observation, critical enquiry, interpretation and the creation of visual and interactive forms. Students will utilise typography both as a communicative and expressive tool. Historical and contemporary examples of visual communication, typography and time-based media will be examined, analysed and discussed, providing the opportunity for students to appreciate and develop skills in typography, page layout, motion graphics and digital media design.
On successful completion of this unit, students will have the ability to:
- Construct design solutions using two and three dimensional design elements, image making, typography and time-based media
- Develop a responsible, inquiring and adventurous attitude to design problem solving
- Recognise and use terminology specific to communication design, typography and digital media
- Understand and apply the fundamental elements and principles of basic typesetting and type design
- Use the fundamental processes intrinsic to time-based design and motion graphics
- Understand and apply the occupational health and safety requirements of this unit
100% Progressive assessment by a series of assignments
8 contact hours plus 16 hours of private study hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information