12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Admission to Bachelor of Communication Design
This unit explores the multi-disciplinary nature of communication design by introducing and applying the basic elements and principles of two and three-dimensional design. Students develop a repertoire of knowledge through the exploration of creative problem solving methodologies and manipulation of design elements. Communication design is presented as a creative, analytical and synthesising process with social, cultural and artistic implications. Set projects encourage experimentation and skill development with materials and technology via drawing, image making and various digital imaging software options.
On successful completion of this unit, students will have the ability to:
- Identify and apply the basic elements and principles of two and three dimensional design
- Recognise the historical and aesthetic parallels between design and art
- Demonstrate drawing skills and the use of creative drawing practice as a means of visual thinking
- Understand and apply basic colour theories
- Express ideas and concepts through introductory-level image making, typography and digital imaging
- Construct design solutions using introductory-level digital production processes
- Understand and apply the occupational health and safety requirements of this unit
100% Progressive assessment, by a series of assignments
On-campus: 8 contact hours plus 16 hours of private study hours per week.
See also Unit timetable information