6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2018
Must have passed.
Must be enrolled in course 3445.
The unit examines the principles of quality improvement, error and risk reduction, and clinical audit specifically relevant to CBEH. Contemporary challenges in community-based emergency health needs are discussed in the context of the Australian healthcare system. The impact of politics, funding, and changing demography on future population health needs are explored. Students will investigate alternative methods of delivering community-based emergency health and discuss the future role of paramedics in meeting the health needs of an aging population. The students will also apply research methods to the development of a research proposal that investigates a contemporary community based emergency health challenge.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Describe the principles of quality improvement, error and risk reduction, and clinical audit and apply these principles to the setting of community-based emergency health;
- Utilise foundational knowledge of relevant research methods, to critically analyse selected community-based emergency health issues;
- Identify and discuss contemporary challenges in community-based emergency health using local, national and international literature;
- Apply the key principles of population health and public health system integration and co-ordination in the setting of selected community-based emergency health topics;
- Outline the principle features of the Australian healthcare system and the impact of politics, funding, and changing demography on CBEH;
- Analyse emergency health research priorities and apply these to community-based emergency health needs;
- Identify alternative methods of delivering community-based emergency health and discuss emerging opportunities for health professionals;
- Outline the process for implementing research findings into CBEH practice;
- Generate a research proposal using contemporary research methods.
- Assignment (1,000 words) (25%)
- Group poster presentation (1,000 words) and oral presentation (30%)
- Research proposal (3,000 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Online participation (5%)
6 hours per week involving lectures and tutorials.
See also Unit timetable information