12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Communications and Media Studies
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor's honours degree
The unit provides students with an opportunity to engage with a key work in the area of media and communications in a detailed and sustained way. Over the semester, students will read the entirety of one important book, meeting weekly to analyse and critique the text while working collectively to deepen an understanding generated through individual reading.
The unit's focus will be on developing both a sophisticated understanding of a challenging text and a nuanced and carefully considered critical response to its argument, all at the level of the work as a whole.
Upon successful completion of the unit students should have acquired:
- skills in the comprehension and critical analysis of extended scholarly work;
- the ability to work collaboratively to critically evaluate an argument and debate the implications of research findings;
- higher skills in the formulation, structuring and written presentation of scholarly argument;
- an enhanced ability to conduct independent research and critically engage with research findings;
- a detailed understanding of a key issue or debate in the discipline.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information