6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.
In this unit students revisit and expand on the media industries focus developed in Level 1 and 2 units. It requires students to deepen and apply specific knowledge on particular media industries and related debates or problems. Students identify a significant media industries figure, context or debate for detailed analysis in consultation with the unit coordinator. Through a combination of directed reading and research, students complete a major essay that demonstrates a high level of competence in theoretical and industrial analysis.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- identify a contemporary challenge, problem or debate within the media industries for analysis;
- construct a research project plan incorporating established media studies methods of audience, industry and textual research;
- undertake independent analysis of a specific project, and link this to central media industries concepts;
- explain in verbal and written forms the methods and findings of their independent project in workshops and assessments.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information