6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
This unit provides students with Chinese language training in a business and commerce context. By exposing students to a specialised business text style, students who wish to further improve their Chinese language proficiency can have an opportunity to grasp the language features of business texts and practice writing and translating related texts, thus developing their current bilingual language proficiency as well as broadening their career opportunities.
Students are expected to achieve the following goals upon successful completion of the unit:
- to acquire familiarity with the basic linguistic features of Chinese business text through discourse analysis
- to acquire basic Chinese business writing skills
- to foster basic translation skills in translating business texts
- to further improve their knowledge of the Chinese language in the specific business context.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information