6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
or by permission
In this unit students develop advanced writing, speaking, listening and reading comprehension skills, enabling them to become proficient communicators through emphasis on the production of written and spoken Spanish in particular. Students extend their grammatical competence with more sophisticated language structures and different discourses and registers, with stress placed on the use of the indicative and subjunctive in subordinate clauses. In the culture component, students develop a more in-depth understanding of the social, historical, political and cultural issues that have shaped the cultures and peoples of the Spanish-speaking world through analyses of Spanish/Latin American films and/or literature.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- converse in Spanish about past, current, future and hypothetical issues, as well as engage in more complex discussions about historical, political, social and cultural matters;
- comprehend and evaluate a variety of written and audio texts from different Spanish-speaking regions and contexts, and extrapolate relevant information;
- write sophisticated compositions in Spanish incorporating grammatical structures studied in class;
- analyse, compare, critique and discuss key aspects of Spanish/Latin American cultures and societies through analyses of their cultural products (films/literature);
- apply research and critical thinking skills.
Within semester assessment: 75% + Exam: 25%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information