6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Winter semester 2018 (On-campus)
In this unit students further develop sophisticated speaking, writing, reading and listening comprehension skills in Spanish, as well as acquiring explicit grammar competence and awareness of different discourses and registers. In the culture component, students further foster their Spanish and Latin American cultural literacy through the study of short stories in Spanish.
On completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- communicate in Spanish about matters related to work, study, personal interests, and contemporary political and social issues;
- narrate stories about themselves and others in the past;
- understand and be able to analyse and discuss short literary texts (short stories and/or plays) in Spanish;
- understand and be able to extrapolate information from TV shows, radio programs and other audio texts;
- formulate and defend intellectual arguments in Spanish concerning contemporary issues of relevance in Spain and Latin America.
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information