6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
In this unit students develop more sophisticated speaking, writing, reading and listening comprehension skills in Spanish, as well as acquiring explicit grammar competence and awareness of different discourses and registers. In the culture component, students further develop their ability to understand and analyse Spanish and Latin American cultures and societies through an exploration of important social, political and cultural issues in films and/or short stories.
On completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- communicate in Spanish about matters related to work, study, and personal interests;
- describe in Spanish events and experiences, dreams, hopes and ambitions in the past, present and future;
- understand short written and audio texts in Spanish and be able to extrapolate relevant information from them;
- compare and contrast social and cultural customs in Spanish and Latin American contexts;
- analyse, compare, contrast and critique Spanish and Latin American cultural products (films and/or short stories).
Within semester assessment: 70% + Exam: 30%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information