6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Creative music technology specialisation.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit develops intermediate skills in creative music technology by requiring students to demonstrate production, recording and performance techniques. Students also comprehend how to manipulate live instrument and studio recordings that employ a more complicated signal flow.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- utilise conventions of computer music programming, including automation of effects and instruments, with some expertise;
- create specific custom software and hardware tools;
- apply workflows in a studio situation, including signal flow, microphone placement and knowledge of appropriate music software programs, with some expertise;
- perform effectively in a chosen/approved music ensemble with a critical awareness of the various roles involved;
- demonstrate perceptive music listening skills through verbal critiques.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information