6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit is only available to students enrolled in a Bachelor of Music single or double degree - Creative music technology or Ethnomusicology and musicology specialisations.
- The unit has a compulsory ensemble componentensemble component (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/music/category/performance-studies/student-ensembles/). Some ensembles are subject to audition. Normally, auditions take place in Week 1 of the semester. Please see the unit guide for further information.
- Students who fail this unit will need permission from the unit coordinator in order to repeat the unit.
This unit extends fundamental technical skills in creative music technology by requiring students to demonstrate knowledge of computers, synthesizers and audio recording equipment in a live performance and studio settings. Students also apply conceptual ideas concerning the use of music technology to performance or recorded works.
Upon the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Utilise fundamental conventions of computer recording and music programming, including mixing and mastering.
- Apply key elements of sound synthesis.
- Apply key elements of audio signal flow in a large studio situation.
- Program compositions using music technology in the relevant repertoire.
- Perform competently in a chosen/approved music ensemble.
- Demonstrate developing music listening skills through verbal critiques.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information