18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Architecture Design Research Project is the culmination of the architectural studio stream and consolidates the conceptual understanding and skill base of preceding design studios. It reinforces architectural design as a process of investigation, critical observation, and experiment. Students will demonstrate mastery of design research as a synthetic process encompassing a range of complex issues inherent in the production of architecture: form, material, structure, program, site, history and representation architectural form. Studies in the unit will maintain a focus on developing design as a visual language and process of cultural production with an emphasis on social and environmental sustainability.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Demonstrate mastery in architectural design.
- Have acquired mastery of architectural design research.
- Have the ability to critically analyse and successfully respond to the complex range of issues inherent in an architectural design project.
- Have developed and demonstrate command of how analysis, experiment and critique apply to the architectural design process.
- Have acquired mastery of all presentation skills: verbal, graphic and 3-dimensional.
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
This is a semester-long project unit.
100% mixed mode
36 hours per week including 6 contact hours per week and 30 hours of independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information