6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Admission to the Master of Architecture Course,
This unit explores integrated building systems as they relate to architectural design and construction. This includes study of principles of integrated design and the implications of these in relation to architectural design, pan-disciplinary collaboration and construction processes and outcomes. The building will be considered as a site of collaboration of pan-disciplinary teams of experts, whose input contributes to the integrity of the whole. Physical, visual and performative integration of building performance systems will be considered in terms of their relationship to design intent. Integral to the subject matter are the implications of tighter integration in relation to strategies for environmental sustainability and optimisation in architectural design and construction. Through project-based exercises, students also engage with the professional ethics and practices required for project development and the performative integration of building systems and design intent.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of integrative design principles as they apply to architectural design, collaboration and construction;
- Understand issues of integration in relation to design project collaboration, building systems and construction processes;
- Have developed a competent understanding of issues of building integration in relation to architectural design for environmental sustainability;
- Gain familiarity and proficiency with advanced methods of collaboration and visualization for designing integrated buildings;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% mixed mode
12 hours per week, including 4 contact hours per week and 8 hours of independent study or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information