6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
Must have passed,
This unit introduces the history and theory of 19th and 20th century Australian and international architecture. The subject will also develop methods for the written, discursive and visual analysis of buildings including site visits, analytical case studies and other forms of analysis. In addition to the theoretical and historical contexts of the buildings studied the subject will investigate their contribution to architectural design.
On successful completion of this unit, students will have developed:
- Knowledge of the history and theory of 19th and 20th century Australian and international architecture.
- Knowledge of the varied contexts of 19th and 20th century Australian and international architecture.
- An ability to demonstrate familiarity with the techniques applicable to the visual analysis of architecture.
- An understanding of the selected buildings' contribution to architectural design.
- An understanding and the ability to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
The Analytical Project, Essay and Visual Test will together form 100% of the assessment.
3 contact hours per week or equivalent
See also Unit timetable information