12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Students undertaking this unit will be provided with opportunities to further develop their knowledge of the T&I sector, locally and globally, and to apply the professional skills and aptitudes they have developed during the course to more industry-centred activities.
Regular translation activities will be offered that aim to strengthen students' competence in domain-specific or specialised translation contexts as well as in project management, revision, editing, translation technology and post-editing.
Regular activities in interpreting will be offered that will provide students with the opportunity to learn more about professional practices in various fields of public service interpreting (legal, healthcare, mental health, etc) and in the conference interpreting sector (mock multilingual conferences and meetings where simultaneous and consecutive interpreting is required).
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- apply acquired T&I professional skills to simulated real-life situations;
- exercise professional judgement in developing new understandings of the T&I industry demands and requirements;
- develop further professional knowledge of T&I local and global norms and standards;
- show technical skill in designing, conducting and acting in mock professional situations;
- collaborate with industry professionals and fellow trainees on projects reflecting workplace practices.
Within semester assessment: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information