12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Communications and Media Studies
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
This unit complements the conceptual, historical and industrial themes developed in APG5900 Cultural Economy. Students will be introduced to the evolving structure of a range of cultural and creative industries. They will learn about key dynamic trends such as digitalisation, financialisation, clustering, globalisation and intellectual property legislation. The unit enables students to link these high level tendencies to the specific context of particular industries and sub-sectors, and/or places/spaces. The assessment provides students with the opportunity to undertake a case study approach to a cultural/creative industry of their choice.
On the successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Identify the major issues and debates in the cultural and creative industries;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the structure and dynamics of contemporary cultural and creative industries;
- Apply concepts to specific cultural and creative industry case studies;
- Demonstrate analytical, independent research skills;
- Demonstrate an ability to link structural trends to specific industry contexts.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information