6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Communications and Media Studies
- First semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus block of classes)
Must have enrolled in course code A6003 or A6008 or A6011 or A6015
In the 21st century, media connects people across time and space, enabling mobility, migration and cultural interaction, while also challenging traditional understandings of how connections between people are maintained based in geographical proximity and cultural identity.
As students in a Masters degree in Communications and Media, you are at once part of this media saturated world, but also will be learning through this degree how to analyse, critique and challenge assumptions about the place of media in a complex, globalised world and to communicate these understandings in various forms (written, oral, multimedia).
The unit will follow from the 6 point foundation unit APG5060 Advanced academic skills, continuing your development of research and inquiry skills and deepening your understanding of the issues of mobility and migration from a media perspective.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- discuss and critique perspectives about the place of media in enabling and navigating mobility, migration, diaspora, and the experience of international study;
- read and analyse scholarly publications in media and communications;
- reflect upon and communicate the experience of student mobility, migration and media use in different forms.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information