12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
Must be enrolled in: F3701 Bachelor of Fine Art (Honours)
This unit is the first part of a major art history and theory research project. It provides an opportunity to research issues and begin the work required for a 15000 word written thesis. The thesis should be on a topic chosen by the student and approved by the department at the time of application.. The thesis will be written under supervision, and students will be expected to meet regularly with their supervisors. This unit is followed byMajor project (Art history and theory honours), under which the project and research must be completed.
On successful completion of this unit, students should:
- be aware of current discourses in relation to an area of contemporary artistic production;
- be able to advance sustained critical arguments in relation to a specialized topic;
- be capable of high level bibliographical research in their chosen field;
- be able to offer fresh interpretations of the literature in their chosen field;
- be capable of conducting independent research at an advanced level;
Thesis (progress towards) as follows:
Bibliography (1000 words) (20%)
Introduction or First Chapter of Honours Thesis (4000 words) (80%)
On-campus: The average number of contact and private study hours per week for one 12cp unit should equal 24 hours.
Off-campus: Note any expected residential or on-campus component requirements for this unit, and give an indication of how private study time is expected to be spent.
See also Unit timetable information