Business management emphasises the practical application of management knowledge and concepts within organisations. The major develops students' management decision-making capacity to improve organisational performance. Business management particularly enhances students' knowledge of, and skills for, managing communication, organisational change, and business strategy. The business management major prepares students for managerial roles within organisations in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors.
Business management is listed in the Bachelor of Business at Caulfield as a major or minor.
In addition to achieving the broad outcomes of their course, students successfully completing this major will be able to:
- understand the importance, nature and consequences of business management decision-making in organisations.
Major requirements (48 points)
No more than 12 points at level 1 may be credited to a major and at least 18 points must be credited to the major at level 3.
- The following six units (36 points):
- MGF1010 Introduction to management
- MGF1100 Managerial communication
- MGF2111 Organisational behaviour
- MGF3621 Organisational change
- MGF3684 Business strategy
- MGX3100 Corporate social responsibility and business ethics
- Two units (12 points) from the following:
Minor requirements (24 points)
- any four units (24 points) from the major, offered at the Caulfield campus, with at least two units (12 points) at level 2 or 3
Successful completion of the major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- B2000 Bachelor of Business
Students in this course can complete the minor using 24 points of their free electives.*
Students in other single bachelor's degrees may be eligible to complete the minor or major by using 24 or 48 points of their free electives.
Successful completion of the major can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Business component in the following double degrees:
- B2019 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Arts
- B2013 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Business Specialist
- B2017 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Information Technology
- B2028 Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Media Communication
- F2004 Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Business
- D3007 Bachelor of Education (Honours) and Bachelor of Business
- F2007 Bachelor of Fine Art and Bachelor of Business