6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2018 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2018 (On-campus)
, , MGG1010, , MGP1010 or .
, MGG2323, MGW2323
Management of employment relationships and workplace issues is central to the unit. Roles of parties to the employment relationship -- management, employees, trade unions, employer groups, governments, and tribunals -- are analysed. Management and employee roles in conflict resolution, negotiation and bargaining, conciliation and arbitration, and maintaining control of the employment relationship are covered. External and internal environments are considered regarding productivity, equity, regulation, labour market reform, and decentralisation of the industrial relations system to an enterprise focus.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- differentiate between employee relations issues and industrial relations issues using current research
- describe the main institutional features and key developments in the Australian industrial relations system as they impact upon employee relations
- identify management strategies for dealing with employee relations in Australian workplaces and those in other countries
- participate in individual and team-based analysis of workplace case studies and activities
- develop basic skills in managing communication, negotiation, and bargaining at the workplace.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Examination: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information