Screen industries, technologies and cultures are changing faster than ever before. This specialisation provides you with the knowledge to understand these transformations, navigating how film, television and newer screen formats have led to and function within contemporary media ecologies. You will study an extensive range of units covering historical, analytical and practical approaches to screen content and formats from around the world. In this, you will consider current academic debates concerning the shift from local to global and analog to digital economies, and also address issues to do with the representation of gender, race and class on screen. The screen specialisation also combines conceptual and practical video production skills relevant to a broad range of media platforms and screen cultures.
This area of study entry applies to students commencing this course in 2019 and should be read in conjunction with the relevant course entry in the Handbook.
Any units listed for this area of study relate only to the 'Requirements' outlined in the component of any bachelors double degrees.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
School of Media, Film and Journalism
Media communicationMedia communication (https://arts.monash.edu/bachelor-of-media-communication/)
You must complete:
Two level 1 gateway units (12 points):
One level 2 cornerstone unit (6 points) chosen from:
One level 3 capstone unit (6 points) chosen from:
Four units (24 points) chosen from:
- the remaining cornerstone, capstone unit, media practice labs or from the elective list below
- ATS2535Not offered in 2019 Storytelling in film and television: From classical narrative to art cinema
- ATS2538 Film and television institutions
- ATS2845 Screenwriting for media production
- ATS3983Not offered in 2019 Screen project: From film theory to digital video practice
- ATS3539 Asian cinema and television
- ATS3540 Documentary and realism in film and television
Domestic Field Trips
- ATS2846Not offered in 2019 Screening Melbourne
Successful completion of this specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the following single degree:
- A2002 Bachelor of Media Communication
If you are in any other single bachelor's degrees you are not eligible to complete this specialisation.
Successful completion of this specialisation can be counted towards meeting the requirements for the Bachelor of Media Communication component in the following double degrees: